September 15, 2009

Day 2 - PCOs

I have been having sleepless nights. Nightmares with the bed bugs popping out from every direction.

I have also been reading a lot. As is typical with a project - invited the experts.

The PCOs streamed in and out. I could sense a bit of fear in their eyes, they wanted to make sure they don't take the bugs along with them.

They sensed the fear in me as well and came up with arbitrary numbers. One of them wanted to tent the house ($3000)...too expensive. I asked him pointedly how does the 3x gases work with the eggs. He stumbled and mumbled something. One of them wanted to use cryonite and spray all over the house at likely hiding places. ..may not work . They offered a warranty of 90 days, better than most other folks. Another wanted to just spray the bedrooms. This last guy discussed the issue in some detail (and didn't come in and get out in a hurry) and I learnt something. Started getting comfortable of doing it myself. These guys were planning to spray some nasty chemicals ...God knows what and I mentally decided not to invite them in.

Many of them acted like Bush and Cheney - play the doom and gloom card, raise the terror alert flag and make hay while the sun shines. The $$$ were shining in their eyes. They made no attempt to provide some assurance at all - probably because they know it is a hopeless battle. There was only one guy who spent some time with me walking through and answering my questions.

They just didn't invest enough to try to solve my problem...too bad! Perhaps they were in a hurry to run to the next appointment.

I realized I had enough data points to try and do it myself.

Stuff that plays in my favor - living in a single family home and hardwood floors.



No comments:

Post a Comment